Pregnancy and childbirth are very exciting times, but they can also be very confusing as you are faced with a large amount of information relating to the health of you and your child. One condition mothers should be aware of is thyroid dysfunction/disease which, if not treated appropriately, can lead to serious consequences for both mother and child.
Read on for essential information on recognising and managing thyroid problems when planning a family, during pregnancy and after birth.
- Starting a family
- Thyroid problems and pregnancy
- Thyroid disease and new mothers
- Thyroid disease and children
Did you know?
Iodine can commonly be found in sea fish, seafood, bread, cheese, cow’s milk, eggs, yoghurt and seaweed.2
- 1Poppe K, Velkeniers B, Glinoert D: Thyroid disease and female reproduction. Clinical Endocrinology, 2007: 66(3): 309-321
- 2American Thyroid Association. Iodine Deficiency http://www.thyroid.org/patients/patient_brochures/iodine_deficiency.html. Accessed March 2009
- 3Management of Thyroid Dysfunction during Pregnancy and Postpartum: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. 2007
- 4Fast Facts For Your Health. Thyroid Disease and Women. National Women’s Health Resource Center. Red Bank, NJ.2006
- 5ACOG Education Pamphlet AP128-Thyroid Disease. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Washington, DC. 2002
- 6Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/placental-abruption/DS00623/DSECTION=complications Accessed March 2009
- 7Poppe K, Velkeniers B, Glinoer D; Medscape. The role of thyroid autoimmunity in fertility and pregnancy. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2008;4:394-405
- 8American Thyroid Association. Thyroid Disease and Pregnancy http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Thyroid_Dis_Pregnancy_broch.pdf. Accessed March 2009
- 9Bettendorf M. Thyroid disorders in children from birth to adolescence. Eur J Nucl Med Mo Imaging. 2002;29 Suppl 2:S439-46
- 10Brown R et al. Congenital Hypothyroidism. The Hormone Foundation. 2009
- 11Thyroid Disease in Children. Mydr.com http://www.mydr.com.au/kids-teens-health/thyroid-disease-in-children. Accessed March 2009
- 12Lee PA. The effects of manipulation of puberty on growth. Horm Res. 2003;60:60-7